June 9, 2012

Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Chips

Cooking for two stinks, especially when one of them doesn't like to eat leftovers.  Did you ever notice that the one who doesn't like leftovers is usually not the one who does the cooking?

I recently made and perfected a delicious and healthy 6 week menu plan complete with weekly a grocery list for each week.  I was knocking myself out cooking and cleaning and hubby would eat some nights or he might have a late lunch and decide not to eat a big dinner.  I'm not known for my cooking, but these were meals he typically likes.

After a few months of the Betty Homemaker routine, I am formally resigning.  I'm going to try something different.  I'm going to forget about significantly cut back on traditional meals in lieu of lighter and simpler fare.  One look at my behind and you'd know that I really don't need any full meals anyway.

Hubby and I love salads and smoothies.  Those can get us through most of the day. They are easy to whip up and very easy to modify, making them seem very different from day to day.

Aside from that, I'm thinking of trying to build a collection of healthy things to nibble on.  One of the first on my list is a recent find - Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Chips.   I found the original recipe on Recipes.com.  I made a few changes and simplified a bit.  My version is gluten free and omits the added sugar. There's enough sugar already!!!  Also, the original recipe makes enough for a group or party.  I plan to only make a small amount each time. No leftovers!!!



Here's my version with no amounts.  Sorry.  I just put in what I decided was enough.-

1. Fruit - Cut up some fruit.  Fresh and local is great.  Frozen will work. - strawberries, kiwi, peaches, and mango are good choices.  Other berries can be used, too. The combinations are endless.

2. Preserves or marmalade - Any flavor.  I used apricot for my first go and it was delicious.  I used too much.  In the future I plan to make sure I dip out just enough to glaze the fruit.  Truly, not much is needed.  Mix the preserves in with the fruit.

3. Apples - Fuji apples or Golden Delicious are best. Peeled, cored and diced.  The apples add a nice crunch.  Add them last so you don't end up with browning.  Stir them in with the other fruits, making sure to get plenty of juice and glaze on them.



4. You can eat the fruit salsa alone, but cinnamon chips take this recipe to a whole new level.  The original recipe calls for chips made from flour tortillas.  Corn tortillas probably wouldn't be as good.  I bought gluten free crackers made from almonds and rice.  Hubby got into them before I made the salsa and loved them plain, which was a shocker.  I modified them to go with this recipe.  I dabbed a tiny bit of butter on them and sprinkled them lightly with cinnamon and then sugar.  Then I put them in the oven for a little bit - 5 minutes maybe?  I know.  Now this recipe sounds like a health disaster, but go easy on the extras and it can still be refreshing and light.  De-lish!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails