July 9, 2010

Salad Tables

I want  will soon make a salad table!  (positive thinking in action)

I first saw the idea for a salad table while browsing Flickr raised garden photos.  I came across this beauty from Erin.  She tags hers, lettuce table.


That immediately sent me Googling, where I came across this great post from, who else, Martha!  It's described as a shallow framed table with a mesh bottom that allows for drainage.  The growing depth is only 3.5 inches which is said to be perfect for salad greens.

Martha recommends keeping it in full sun from April thru mid-June, then moving it to part shade from mid-June til mid-September, then back in the sun through December 1. 

I would like to try making it work year round by moving it indoors by a sunny window from December to April. I'd have to figure out something for the drainage under the table, but it seems do-able.

Next, I went back to Flickr to search salad table tagged photos.  Most of the photos weren't what I was looking for, but I did find this cute idea from lyckeliv -


...and this one from darkgardyner -Be sure to browse the rest of her set for other fun ideas.

Next, I moved on to a Google image search where I found TONS of examples.  I saw tables in all shapes and sizes and colors.  Mercy, I must be the last one to find out about these tables.

Check this one out from Bittycakes -
She refers to this article by Grow It Eat It, which also hooks into Martha's post.

How about a set of three
This set can be purchased if you don't want to make it yourself.

And finally, this from Cracking Good, which cracked me up - Apparently her lettuce was finally starting to produce... Cut enough lettuce from my table to make 2 sandwiches. Only $50, 2 hours of construction and 3 months of watering for that lettuce!


More examples:
  • Heather K Powers
  • Amiwithani
  • I could go on and on, but I think I have enough inspiration at this point.  I need to just move away from the computer!!!  
I have linked to the following parties:
Favorite Things Friday at A Few of My Favorite Things
Inspired By at The Inspired Room
Show and Share Day at Just a Girl
Friday Fun Finds at Kojo Designs
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails