July 1, 2016

Yoga Love

I did not take this photo while at class. It was taken at home.  

Yesterday, I went to my first yoga class.  I have gotten into yoga before, but did it at home using workouts I had onVHS tapes (and later DVDs).   I thought I knew a bit about what to expect from those.  I was a little afraid that I'd struggle to keep up and would end the 90 minute session feeling a bit sore.  That was not the case at all!  The class I took was fabulous.  It was slow, allowing for deep stretches and plenty of time to ease into positions. (My DVD yoga lessons all change positions too fast. Drives me crazy.)  By the end of the class, I felt FABULOUS and today, there is no trace of soreness whatsoever.

My other concerns turned out to be non-issues, as well.


The length of the class (90 minutes) seemed a bit intimidating.  I thought I might be wishing it would end about halfway in.  Nope.  Thoughts of time went away.

Maybe next time I'll accentuate my assets with ruffles.

My mat was at the front of the class.  I remember thinking how self conscious I'd be knowing a whole group of people behind me would have a fabulous view of my big butt luscious derriere up in the air.  Honestly, the routine was so immersing that thoughts of other people in the room just went away.

If this is true, I will be into yoga for the rest of my life!

I was concerned that I'd be the oldest person in the room and possibly the only one who couldn't touch her toes.  There were 25 to 30 people in the class. It seemed there were people representing every decade of life from 8 to 80.  Not kidding!  Several folks looked to be at least 80.  One more thing.  It turns out, I can still touch my toes just fine.

We're Never Too Old For Yoga!


I felt sure the yoga studio and instructor were going to be fine after a glowing review from a friend.  Truly, it was even better than I hoped.  Who knew we had this kind of studio on the south side?!?!?!

Friends - if you'd like to try a class with me, just let me know!  The studio provides the equipment.  There's no commitment - you can pay for a class at a time.  You don't have to sign up ahead of time - just drop in.  If you have physical issues, each position has work arounds.  The instructor tells/shows you what to do if you have a bad back, shoulders, knees, necks, etc.

Namaste!



LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails