May 10, 2011

Vintage Tumblers

When I say vintage tumblers, I'm not talking about an old acrobatic troupe.  I'm talking about drinking glasses.  Collectors call them tumblers.  I also hear them called Swanky Swigs.

I am a novice collector.  If an expert (or even an intermediate collector) reads this and sees something I have wrong, I would appreciate corrections!  My collection has begun because I want some color in my glass front cabinets. 


I love retro, so these colorful glasses are perfect.  I enjoy an eclectic look and am not at all concerned with having matching sets. My main criteria is that I find the design and colors appealing. As you can see from the photo above, I even have a Tervis Tumbler in a retro design alongside the vintage glassware.  My easy criteria makes it pretty simple to build a collection I like.  I started a few months ago and am pretty pleased with what I have so far.

As I'm collecting, I'm trying to learn a little about these fun glasses.  Glasses were easy to come back back in the 1940's and 50's and a bit beyond.  Companies used to offer a premium for buying their product. This came mostly in the form of a drinking glass. Sour cream, jelly, peanut butter, spreadable cheese all had glass giveaways. The product usually came right in the glass.  Often gas stations would give a free tumbler with a fill up. Glasses even came in boxes of laundry detergent!  I remember growing up with lots of what we referred to as jelly glasses.  Who knew that years later they would be so popular.  The good news is that they are still fairly easy to find and they aren't too pricey.  Best of all, they are such fun to drink out of.  I love having multiple designs to suit my moods.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails