November 11, 2015

The Grocery Cart Ride

One thing leads to another.    Sharing a simple post on Facebook showing senior citizens riding on grocery carts can lead to unapologetically juvenile behavior in other supposedly mature adults.

This little post should have come with a warning.  Something like, "Do not try this at home." might have been good.  Or at least they should have pointed out that the little old lady in the photo had a spotter with her.


When I shared this picture, I noted that riding the cart was something I was always tempted to do.  Next thing I know, many others were commenting, some saying they did ride the cart and others saying I should go for it.  My mind swiftly went back to elementary school dares where your "friends" were urging you to do something they wouldn't do and your mother says afterwards, "If your friends all jumped off a cliff, would you  jump, too?"  But then, Glen Hatchell, who coincidentally, I knew in elementary school, posted a video of himself riding the grocery cart.   AND IT LOOKED LIKE  FUN!  There's no turning back now. I'm in.

The adult in me paused briefly to consider what could go wrong... worst case scenarios.  The bottom line, I'm too old to worry about being arrested and I don't think there are actual laws against riding grocery carts anyway.  If I ended up in the emergency room, I'd have one heck of a story to tell.  So my juvenile side and my adult side are both convinced.  I have to do it because life is short and good stories are priceless.

Today, I'm proud to say, I met my goal.  I rode the grocery cart!  I was not with anyone, so I had no friends to laugh with me or make me look a tiny bit more sane.  Have you ever noticed when you act silly in a group, it's a little less crazy than doing it all by yourself?  There were plenty of people in the parking lot, so I wasn't even able to be discreet.  Still, I went for it and clearly should get extra points for bravery!

Now, it's been a really long time since I've ridden a grocery cart, but I figured it would be like riding a bicycle.  It would all come back to me.  Turns out, I may have needed just a tiny bit of practice before making my screen debut.

Did You Know -   

A small amount of groceries 
+
pulling back on the cart handle while both feet are off the ground
+
a little extra "junk in the trunk" weight
=
A GROCERY CART WHEELIE!!!


I learned today that it does.

I'm sorry this video didn't capture the episode very well. It was hard to film while maintaining a death grip on the cart.  My ride must have been pretty entertaining because the truck full of landscapers parked next to me never stopped laughing.  They were still laughing as I drove off.  What's even better, I was, too.  I continued to laugh most of the way home.  


Is anyone else up for the challenge? Obviously age doesn't matter.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails