December 31, 2011

Pink Crocheted Scarf

I finished up one last project for 2011!  It's a pink crocheted scarf.  It's so pretty and I can't wait to wear it.  It's really long, perfect for wearing in a European Loop



I haven't crocheted in decades!  I have been knitting a bit.  A tiny bit.  Washcloths.  Do not be impressed.  I used to crochet like crazy and even made some afghans in my day.  Still, I was never a pro and I never was a perfectionist about it.  A true yarn artist would be amused (or horrified) by my creations.

My mom made a scarf for my niece, Sarah, for Christmas.  It was lime green - Sarah's new favorite color.  It was fabulous.  I fell in love and decided it would be such fun to try.  I needed a TV watching project.  This was a timely project.  I have a winter cold and I've been a couch potato for the last couple of days.

The pattern had come from a free Hobby Lobby pattern card.  I was able to find the pattern - Taffy Pull Scarf - online.  The original pattern is for a striped scarf.  The one my mom made was a solid color and I liked that MUCH better.

Over the summer I had come across a bunch of wonderful cotton yarns at - where else - a yard sale.  Needless to say, I had a stash to pull from.  I chose the pink.  It's not as thick as the pattern calls for.  Since I'm not a perfectionist, I didn't let that worry me.  I had a number of crochet hooks.   The pattern calls for size I-9.  Didn't have that so I used a J-10.  Close enough. But I should have compensated by decreasing the chain stitches at the beginning to maybe 200 or 225. I ended up with a lacier scarf than my niece's.  Both are pretty.  I am thinking that I'd like to make an ivory or gray one with a thicker yarn.  It would be good to have a warmer scarf, too.  The bottom line - it will come out pretty even if you don't use exactly what's called for.

When I printed the original pattern, the print was too small to easily read, plus there was lots of extra info about changing colors, which I didn't plan to do.  I redid the pattern for one color.  If you want the  original pattern, go here.  If you want solid, copy and paste this:

Taffy Pull Scarf
Stitch Nation by Debbie Stoller "Bamboo Ewe™"
FINISHED MEASUREMENTS - Scarf is 6" x 85". (I didn't measure mine, but this is pretty close).

MATERIALS
177 yd - 3.5 oz (100 g) balls
I used 3 1/2 skeins of 115 yd -  50g - 1 3/4 oz - 100% cotton - Patons Weekender yarn in coral (looks like a dusty pink)
Crochet Hook: 5.5mm [US I-9].
Yarn needle.


Ch 256
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across – 255 sc.
Note: I used a hook one size larger and my scarf is too long! 
Rows 2 - 5 : sc in each sc across.
Row 6: ch 4 (counts as tr), turn, *skip 1 st, tr in next st, tr in skipped st; repeat from * across to last st, tr in last st. (Sounds hard, but is very easy!)
Row 7: ch 1, turn, sc in each st across, sc in top of ch-4.
Rows 8-9: repeat Rows 6-7.
Rows 10-11: repeat Rows 6-7.
Row 12: ch 1, turn, sc in each st across, sc in top of ch-4.
Rows 13-16: ch 1, turn, sc in each sc across.
Fasten off.


The triple stitches used in rows 6, 8 and 10 create the lacy bits down the center of the scarf.

FINISHING
Cut 12" lengths of different colors of yarn to add to long tails. Matching colors with row tails, fold lengths in half. Each Fringe should have 6 strands. Pull folded end of lengths through each row end. Pull ends of lengths and long tails through folded end.
Weave in ends.



GAUGE: 12 sts = 4" in single crochet. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. (I obviously didn't bother) Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
Note: Scarf is worked lengthwise. Leave 6" tail when beginning and ending to add to Fringe.

ABBREVIATIONS:
ch = chain
mm = millimeters
sc = single crochet
st(s) = stitch (es)
tr = triple or treble crochet
* = repeat whatever follows the * as indicated

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails