August 3, 2015

Office Mini Makeover

So, it looks like I'm going to put a bit of effort into this whole "heal by decorating" thing.  I'm worn out after today's work, but I have to admit, it's been a boost to my spirits.  Today, I dismantled the office and painted the walls.  It was an all day affair.


The previous color was Sherwin Williams Creamy.  Even though I tested tons of samples when I went with this color in 2008, it turned out to be a mistake - too much yellow.  The new color is Sherwin Williams Watery.  It's the same color as the side entry room.  It's an interesting color -  a blue-ish turquoise. I don't think any of my photos truly captured it.


I swapped some wall art around and ended up hanging these flowers over the shelf.  One day, I hope to have two wall-to-wall shelves where that picture is.  I *think* I might be able to do that myself, but will have to work up some courage before I try.

I've always loved the long shelf that's on the floor.  My hubby made it for me years ago.  He even made wooden drawer-like boxes for the bottom row, but we got rid of those a few years ago.


It was starting to get dark by the time I got my desk put back together.  That desk was a real pain to move.  It's super heavy.  I'll be taking aspirin or ibuprofin or something tonight.  Quite a few of my muscles are complaining, especially in my back.  Ugh.



I swapped some window treatments around.  A few days ago, I decided to try using Shirley's Grandmother's tablecloth as a window treatment.  I tried it in the laundry room and loved it.  Today, I decided that it would add a little bit of girly vibe to the office, so I moved it. The curtain softens the feel of the desk.  That desk is a bit too masculine for my tastes, but it's wonderfully functional.  I recently sold a prettier desk.  It was a big vintage oak beauty, but the drawers were heavy and hard to open.

The flowers on the desk are real.  My sweet friend, Susan, brought them the other evening when she came to dinner.

The office is functional, but there's still lots of room for style improvement.  I don't like the door that's propped to the left of the window.  That'll probably be the first change. Anyone need a vintage door?  The room is still not "me" but these changes are a step in that direction.  My life is still not "me" but at least I'm doing something.  That's gotta be good, right?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails