June 29, 2009

Rain Dance

In Georgia, August is typically miserable - hot beyond belief and so dry that everything green turns brown and crunchy. It's not supposed to be that way in June!

It's literally 100 degrees in the shade. Something's gotta give!

By the way, this thermometer sits in a chair because I intend to get a different one to hang on the porch. I don't want to make a nail hole for something temporary.


I began thinking about rain. Our greatest chance for rain was Sunday - a 30% chance. I bought a rain gauge a while back and today decided to put it up. The phrase, "Build it and they will come" ran through my head. I translated that to, "Put out the rain gauge and it will rain".

I ended up putting it right on the front rail. That's pretty tacky, but my DH felt that was the spot for the most accurate measuring, and I rationalized that by placing it so prominently, surely the importance would be clear.

Then I went beyond tacky. I hung out laundry to dry right on the front porch. Everyone knows that if you wash your car or hang out laundry to dry, it will soon rain. As a side benefit, I got some laundry done and didn't have to turn on the dryer. I ended up doing 3 loads of laundry this afternoon. Everything dried on this rack. It's so hot and dry that each load dried amazingly fast.

So did it rain? No. The rain went just south of us. We saw some promising clouds, but not a drop fell. There's a 10% chance of rain today. Then the next 3 days - 0%. Then back up to 10%. I'll bet if local dance studios started offering classes in rain dancing, business would boom!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails