June 1, 2009

Frappuccino Pick-Me-Up

I love frappuccinos.  My favorite is the mocha. If I'm out and about and need a pick-me-up, I can usually find a Starbucks or a locally owned coffee shop. If I'm at home and the craving hits, I make my own. I've gotten pretty good at it. If the hubby is home, he happily joins me.

For me, a pretty glass is part of the experience. The fabulous glasses from my mother-in-law are the best.

I Googled frappuccino recipe when I first started making these. From there I tweaked on my own. Now I don't even measure. A little of this and a little of that and it always seems to turn out great. My recipe makes about 4 servings. I keep trying to only make two, but haven't mastered that yet.

I start with a cup or two of leftover coffee that has cooled down. It's usually the morning coffee that has sat in the pot for hours. Sometimes I put leftover coffee in a jar and put it in the frig to use later.

Next, I add a spoon of chocolate powder or cocoa. It can be sweetened or un. Whatever.

Sugar is needed to cut the bitterness a bit. If the chocolate powder was unsweetened, you'll need to use a little more. I start with 1/4 cup.

Around our house we don't drink milk - I have dairy issues. We drink Almond Breeze almond milk. I usually add about a cup of chocolate almond milk. No chocolate? The vanilla or regular milk with a little extra cocoa. Extra note about Almond Breeze: This stuff is fabulous! If you decide to try it, get the refrigerated kind in the half gallon cartons. The unrefrigerated kind is not nearly as tasty.

If vanilla or chocolate ice cream is on hand, a scoop of it will really add a wonderful creamy texture. Totally optional.

Add a tray of ice and blend.

This step is important - taste it to see if any adjustments need to be made. Usually, this is where I see if any sugar needs to be added.

Pour into glasses and top with whipped cream. Whipped cream in not something I keep on hand, so my fraps are usually without.  But on the rare occasions I do splurge and get some, I always think that it sure is better with whipped cream than without.

Use a straw if you have one on hand.

Wait one hour for the energy to kick back in.  I feel like such a cheater relying on legal stimulants to get me moving. Please don't tell Dr. Oz. I just couldn't face him right now.  In fact, there's nothing about this drink that would make him happy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails