July 4, 2012

The Marigold Cupboard

A few weeks ago, I bought a vintage cupboard.  My first instinct, not always right, was to put it in my booth at Rockin' B.  It would look wonderful there.  I changed my mind on that rather quickly.  There was a spot in our dining room that needed something tall.  Would it fit?  Yes - barely!


Most would probably describe the color as mustard yellow.  I don't like mustard, so I'm calling it marigold.  A few years back, I wouldn't have cared for this color.  Those 70's colors - harvest gold, avocado green and whatever it was they called that brown were never my favorites.  For some reason, I seem to be liking them more when paired with colors I love, like turquoise or red.  I'm surprising myself.

Hubby felt sure I intended on painting the cupboard.  I gasped in horror.  The chippy paint gives it character!  Hubby doesn't appreciate an abundance of character, but thankfully, he doesn't care about such things enough to let it bother him.


I love the old red handles.  Bakelite, maybe?  The drawer handle was missing.  I plan to try to find something similar at a vintage hardware store a little south of me.  Til then, the glass knobs will do.



I brought home the Ball sign I painted and put it on top of the cabinet.  I decided I'd be heartbroken if the thing sold.  I love the apple tree branches in the granite pitcher.  Both of those are purchases from the same place as the cabinet.  I added a couple of my ball jars.  The arrangement works, but... I really think I need some red up there.  That whole corner needs some red.  It's very likely this arrangement is temporary.



The top doors have a chalkboard finish.  I had fun playing around with quotes and settled on a Dr. Seuss one to start with -



The inside has a backboard of red. It's basic plywood, which I never like, but the color is good.  The doors will stay closed.  Should I ever decide to keep them open and use the spot for display, I'll replace that backing. The shelves gave me extra storage for some things I'd had in high up cabinets before.  I especially like having the trifle bowls more easily accessible.  I love using trifle bowls!  And now I don't have to pull out a step stool to get to them.  Confession - Who knows when I'll use those bowls next.  I haven't exactly been Suzy Homemaker in the kitchen lately.


A side note about leaving the doors open - since I spend so much time on displays and vignettes for my booth, I find myself less eager for displays at home. I don't see myself opening those doors anytime soon.  I'm curious.  Do other booth vendors feel that way, too?

Another side note - I bought this cabinet and a number of other things from a couple in Senoia who were moving further out.  They had a wonderful old house and had even been part of the Senoia tour of homes in the past.  The pieces they were selling were ones they couldn't fit into their newer home.  I can't imagine what pieces they took with them.  The wife seemed rather sad or maybe just tired from moving.  I hope it was tired.  I keep thinking about them and hoping they are happy in their new home.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails