June 3, 2016

A Two-Susan Day

Today was a Two-Susans-Day.  It started with a memorial service.

The first Susan was Susan T  and it was her memorial service I attended.  I spent a great deal of time around her back in the 80's.  There was a group of us who hung out at The Elks Club pool practically every day one or two summers.   Looking back we were an unlikely group.  We had quite an age range and we certainly had a lot of different personalities.  I'm really not sure how much we all had in common, but somehow we formed a close connection that remained over the years even though many of us seldom see the others.  Susan was a very important part of that group.  So was Ruth Adamek, who passed away a few years ago.  Those two ladies knew how to be happy.

Happy people know connecting with friends and family is the most important thing and if you can do it with a sense of fun and joy and love, then you'll truly have a wonderful life, no matter what comes your way.  Susan and Ruth were so full of joy... always.  Wherever they were was sure to be a happy place.  The Elks Club pool was an incredibly happy place to be back then.

Late this afternoon I kept thinking about how Susan T lived and suddenly sitting at home relaxing by myself seemed completely wrong. I am incredibly lucky to have a bunch of great friends.  I'm thinking I'd like to start seeing them more often. Ordinarily, I like to do my playing and running around during the day, but even though it was late in the day, I picked up the phone and called Susan H. She's my YES Friend.  If she has spare time, she will always say yes to a friend.  She's always ready for fun.  It was perfect timing. She had time to spare and was close by. We were able to fit in a fabulous ride in her new paddle boat, a thrown together dinner and a fun movie.



Sometimes hanging out with a good friend is the most important thing you can do.  Susan T would agree.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails