January 26, 2010

A Little Kitchen Upgrade

I'm spending more time in the kitchen these days. I'm trying to eat more real food, as Michael Pollan recommends. His motto is, "Eat food. Mostly plants. Not too much." When he refers to real food, he means not processed. He's all about getting back to cooking from scratch and staying out of the middle aisles of the grocery store.

I decided that I would give myself a little entertainment for the times when I'm in the kitchen by myself. I bought a TV. It has a built in DVD player and I hooked up a VCR as well. Now I can play my favorite movies while I cook.
Don't you just love Moonstruck?

Next, I decided to get back to flowers. I went on a kick a few years back where I kept fresh flowers in the house. Andrew Weil, the health guru, highly recommends them. So does Christiane Northrup - the Dr. who is frequently on Oprah. Check out this article on the health benefits of flowers. There's something about them that makes you feel wonderful.

My inspiration for getting back to them is the blog, Heart of Light. I have become obsessed by this blog. I'm reading my way through all of Rachel's posts. She's young, but so inspiring. Her posts on cooking have connected with my recent discovery of Michael Pollan and thanks to both of them, meals around our house are getting better. Rachel also gets fresh flowers every Friday and posts about them. They are always lovely.

I bought some simple, almost played out tulips for $2.50. I must say, I am enjoying them soooo much. Why did I ever stop keeping fresh flowers on hand. I can't wait to add more flowers to our garden. Is it Spring yet?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails