December 9, 2015

My Brother-In-Law Tried to Kill Me Today!

My brother-in-law, Mike, called yesterday to see if I was interested in going to Pine Mountain for a hike today.  That sounded good to me.  I really want to try to step up my fitness game.


We set off on the Wolfden hike.  Susan and I had hiked to Wolfden back in October, but we didn't do the entire hike.  We did the shorter hike to the den and back.  Mike's mission was the complete 6.7 mile loop.  

He set off at a respectable (breakneck) pace.  I was determined to keep up with whatever pace he set without complaint (crying).  Hiking with Mike is a bit different than hiking with Susan.  Susan and I stop to admire the scenery and take photos and drink water.  Most of the photos I took today were taken quickly while on the move (run).  There was no dawdling.



It took Susan and I about an hour and 45 minutes to make it to the den.  It took Mike and I one hour.  It took us 3 hours and 15 minutes to hike the entire 6.7 mile loop.

The hike beyond the den is not quite as pretty, but it was interesting.  The terrain changes substantially a number of times.  There were a couple of sections of woods where the hiking was fairly easy, but all in all, the hike was challenging - a moderate rating.  Up and down mountains over and over, 13 creek crossings, rocks and roots...   There were two particularly steep uphill sections where I thought paramedics might be needed. 



We crossed roads twice during the hike.  After the last crossover, we went through an area that had been hard hit after a tornado a few years ago.  It was sad, but the area was still pretty in a very unusual sort of way.  The photos I took here are some of my favorites, actually.  I like the colors and the lonesome feel.



To set the record straight and clear Mike's name, he asked if I was doing OK many times.  If I had given him any clue that I was pushing it (praying to be put out of my misery), he would have slowed down or rested or whatever I wanted.  In truth, I WANTED to be pushed.  It was fabulous!!!!  I'd gladly do it again, but not tomorrow.  I may not be able to move tomorrow.

Mike's trying to talk me into joining in on a Grand Canyon hike in 2017.  The really crazy thing is that I just might do it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails