June 12, 2010

Scott Antique Market

Yesterday, I went to Scott Antique Markets with 3 other friends - Nancy (my sister-in-law), Martie (my friend for years), and Beth (Martie's cute, creative daughter).  We are all kindred spirits. 


Now that Martie finally retired, the four of us are thinking about renting a booth at Scotts for a few months.  We all have collected things for years and could easily support a booth from our own storage!  We all need to pair down and this will be a great way to do it.  Nancy and I have been toying around with idea for ages.  Once Martie expressed interest, the toying around ended!  Martie put us all in gear and it looks like what was First a Dream (this may help explain my blog title) is going to soon be a reality!

We went to Scotts to do a bit of research and to drool over the amazing things they have.  I took photos, but not as many as I wanted.  I feel reluctant to snap pictures all over.  Some booth owners are not real happy about it.

Here are some of the things I noticed in no particular order.  You can click on most of the photos and see them just a little larger.

These painted chairs caught my eye.  I saw this color on a good many pieces of furniture.  I have no idea what to call it.  It's sort of a mix of gray and khaki.  Another booth owner had furniture this color, but with white exposed through distressing.  It looked great - wish I had taken photos of those.


The robins egg blue was another popular color.

 Our favorite booth was MENDED WAYS out of Stevens, Pennsylvania. She will have a web site soon. Everything in this booth was wonderful and it was displayed with such flair.  Wendy Christie, the booth owner, had been a window designer or something like that.  She was also having a number of health issues that had caused weight gain and skin rashes and so forth which had led to a stroke.  She was so nice and she had the most incredible blue eyes.  She won't be at Scotts again til October.


She had a pitcher similar to mine.  Hers was $85.  I found mine at a yard sale.  I've forgotten how much it was, but I know it was much less than $85.

Another booth that caught my hear belonged to Margaret Meier of Vintage Fabrics & Etc. out of Orlando Park, Florida.  She doesn't have a web site and doesn't want one.  She doesn't own a TV.  She was quite interesting and truly fun to talk to.  She has appeared on Martha Stewart and also the show with Lynette Jennings that was on HGTV years ago - whatever happened to her?

She said the red in this vintage tablecloth was called turkey red.  It was likely much brighter when new, but over time fades to this lovely subtle red.  The picture doesn't do it justice. 


Margaret has written a book - Vintage Textured Barkcloth.  

My favorite items in her booth were the french linens - especially the ones with turkey red.

These tabletops appear to have been made from old paneling or old wooden flooring.

I loved this garden worktable with an old iron gate for decoration.

I've been wanting to turn one of my old chairs into a planter.  This one was OK, but it reminded me to tell Nancy (who also wants to make one) about the one made by Anita from Going a Little Coastal.

Anita has a tutorial on making these which is very helpful.  I hope to make one soon.

It was a hot,hot, hot day and humid in the way that only Georgia is able to get.  We could only look at the booths outside for a few minutes (it was mid afternoon) and we all decided it was time to go.


I have linked to:
Favorite Things Saturday at Bargain Hunting with Laurie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails