June 10, 2010

A Pleasant Place to Paint

I have slowly been working on organizing my attic space.  A good part of my upstairs is unfinished.  I call it my attic, but I guess that's not really accurate since there is actual attic space above.  This unfinished space was a major part of the house design and it's a part of my house that I really feel fortunate to have.

Last week I decided that my organization plan for this area was flawed.  I spend many mornings at my paint station.  I have a million (that's only a slight exaggeration) things waiting to be painted.  The first flaw - I had the station set up on the east side.  That's the first side to get hot in the summer.  I have a large bank of windows on each side. The sun was actually coming in too strong early in the morning and I could be blinded by the light if I stood in the wrong spot.  The other flaw - the east side has a beam sticking up from the floor - it was just waiting for me to trip over it while holding a bucket of paint.  I've been told that this beam could be trimmed to floor height without compromising the structure, but I would prefer not to tamper with it.

Once I decided I needed to make a change, I couldn't concentrate on anything else til it was done.  Since it is unfinished space, I could only work comfortably til about 11am on the 90 degree days we've been having lately.  It ended up taking about 3 days to make the change.

I sure am happy with the new location and new setup.

Here's the view looking towards the west side windows.  In this picture you can see that I have a ceiling fan.  There are actually 3 ceiling fans in this unfinished space. Love it!!!

You can also see that I put down some carpet squares.  I had them.  They weren't being used.  Now I have a cushy floor to stand on.  I don't know why I put down the drop cloth.  I really don't care if the squares get messed up.  If I had an analyst, I would ask him/her.  I'm sure it has some deep seated meaning.


Here's a view opposite the windows.  You can see I'm starting to put up shelves on the walls I covered with sheets (to cover up exposed fiberglass) last month.  I have more fans set up.  They come in handy when I prime - my current primer is a bit smelly and I want those fumes out as fast as possible. 

I love this space.  I love having a spot where it's OK to make a big mess.  There's no need to clean it up so it can be used for something else.  I can keep a steady stream of projects underway.

Another major bonus for this space is that it's the one area of our house that is pet free.  I love our babies, but if I tried to paint with any of them around, it could would end in disaster.

Most of all, I love how I feel in the space.  Early in morning, the windows are open and breezes are usually wafting through. I can hear nature sounds just outside.  Painting is slow and methodical and I'm finding it's almost like meditating.   It's such a pleasant way to start my day.

I have linked to these parties:
Thrifty Thursday at Bloggeritaville
Transformation Thursdays at The Shabby Chic Cottage
Get Your Craft on Thursday at Life as Lori
It's Party Time at Pony Tails and Fish Scales

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails