August 5, 2010

Southern Living Idea House - Laundry and Bedrooms

This is the sixth post in a series about my tour of the Abercorn Place 2010 Southern Living Idea House in my hometown, Senoia, Georgia.

Be sure to check out my previous posts -
House & Town details plus the kitchen
The Top Floor - entertainment room and craft room
The Master Suite
The Main Floor - mostly the living room & dining room
The Porch and Courtyard

I took tons of photos and have more to share.  Today I am posting about the children's bedrooms and laundry on the third floor.  The Master Suite was presented in a previous post.  Click here for the floor plan.

The laundry room was nice, but a little smaller that I would want.  The washer and dryer were not in yet and once they are the room the hamper space in the corner might be pretty hard to access.  I could be wrong.  I'd like to start a campaign for larger laundry rooms.  It's a pet peeve of mine.  Listen up architects.  It would be nice to have a little more room in front of the washer and dryer.  Just because the washer and dryer doors can be opened successfully, it doesn't mean that there's enough space to easily get the clothes in and out. 

The drying rack was a hit.  Everyone gushed over this feature.  However... the laundry room is the first thing you see as you come up the stairs.  What might be on the drying rack?  Bras.  Yes, there are doors to shut, but when you are doing laundry, you might not want to keep opening and closing the doors.  Flipping the laundry room so the sink was on the left side would have made this less noticeable. 

I *think* these pretty pictures were on the left side of the laundry room - maybe even on the wall opposite where the washer and dryer would go.  Too bad these weren't on the wall that is easily visible from the hall and stairway.  They would be nicer to look at than drying lingerie.

Here's a close up of one of them.  They were quite pretty in person.

The subway tile and counter top was nice.

Please note:  I was critical of the size and layout of the laundry room.  Even so, it was still nice - especially the colors and decor.  I just tend to analyze the details. 

Onto the childrens rooms and more of me being picky.  The layout was fine (other than the limited closet space).  This time the colors were... I'm not even sure what word to use here.  Some were pretty but some were odd and the combination didn't thrill me.  I thought maybe it was just me, but I listened to comments made as other visitors passed through and they seemed to feel the same. I think it was the mustard color that was the problem.  Anyway,  this is just a personal preference thing.  So, if you are among those not in love with all the colors, get over it and take note of the details.  You'll likely find some details you like.

The first bedroom was done for a pre-teen girl.

The other bedroom was a nursery.  There were zoo animal murals all over the walls and ceilings. They were very large.


I liked the detail of the chair tufting.

A Jack and Jill bath connected the two bedrooms.  
Here are more details from both bedrooms.  The chair in the middle was in the preteen room.  The fabric choice seemed really odd.  I didn't like it.  At all. 

Be sure to come back for the last post in the series - the basement.  I know - that doesn't sound exciting, BUT  IT  IS!!!  I don't have a single criticism.  There were a number of things that I fell in love with.  Swoon worthy! 

Want more while you wait?  Check these links -
Southern Living 2010 Official Developer Site
2010 Georgia Idea House - Southern Living's site
The Historic Senoia Project
Senoia View of Good Life - AJC article on the Idea House

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails