Friday, September 10, 2010

Blue Porch Ceilings

When it came time to choose paint colors for our house, there was only one thing I was certain of - I wanted the ceilings of my porch to be blue.  That was my easiest decision.

My porch - August 2008
My Porch Ceilings:
Sherwin Williams
Open Air 6491
*SATIN FINISH


Blue porch ceilings are an old tradition dating back to the mid-1770s, when Prussian blue pigment became popular. Prussian blue was invented in Germany. Before then, blue pigment was pricey and the color didn't hold. Prussian blue was a light robin's egg blue.  In the mid 1800's the color took off in Aurora Colony and became known as Aurora blue.  


The shade of blue used for porch ceilings can vary, but usually it's sort of a sky blue or robin's egg shade.

Aside from the fact that the blue is very pretty, calming, and reminds one of the sky, there are two other interesting side benefits. 


It is believed that the blue color repels insects.  I read one article where a homeowner tested this out by painting half of his porch ceiling blue and left the other half white.  All the wasps nests were on the white side.  He was convinced.  Our porch is large and wraps all the way around 3 sides of the house.  We've had a couple of wasp nests, but nothing big.  And they were built attaching to our white trim.  Hmmm.  Maybe there's something to it.


 The other side benefit is less easy to prove. It is said that the blue chases away evil spirits. In the South Carolina Lowcountry, they call the blue color haint blue.  A haint, by the way, is a spirit or ghost.  I must say, we haven't had any problems with evil spirits since we moved here.





Thanks Shala!!!  This one is Sago Cottage on St John, Virgin Islands.


Cherry Hill Cottage - This porch belongs to Tina's sister Kathy, who lives in Houston - click here for more
  Thanks so much to Rose Vine Cottage  for recognizing this wonderful porch.  I should have known! Cherry Hill Cottage is a blog I follow regularly. Tina is so creative and so are all of her friends and relatives.


Note about photos in this post - I try to give credit when I use photos that are not my own.  Unfortunately, all but one of these photos were from my collection before I came up with a way to keep up with where they came from. If you know the source, please let me know, so I can give credit!


17 comments:

  1. Beautiful porches! Thank you for the link. Great to meet another GA girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could live on a porch...sleep, eat...I would! Thank you for sharing these lovely porches...a big glass of sweet tea...ahhh...a little slice of heaven on a porch! I LOVE this party! Thanks! Christie at Three Pixie Lane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful porches!! The last picture is from Cherry Hill Cottage blog, I believe it is her sisters home (;

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post--those porches are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting....I had no idea about the blue pigment! The porch photos are all gorgeous too!
    I was thinking about painting the ceiling of our porch robin's egg blue or sky blue when we had our house re-painted in 2007 because we had a robin that kept building a nest on a little ledge above our front doors where there's a window, like a fanlight. Someone told me to paint the ceiling blue and then the bird would think it was open sky and not a ceiling and she wouldn't want to build her nest "exposed". I don't know if birds can see color or not, but I thought it was a neat idea anyway. We ended up not painting the ceiling at all, but I think when the porch next needs painting I'm going to do it. I think it will look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just learned about the blue porches recently. I love the idea, but unfortunately I have vinyl siding stuff on my porch ceiling. But I'm bugging my sister to paint the porches on her 19th century farmhouse blue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard the term "Aurora Blue" a hundred and one times. Now I know where it came from...thanks for the history lesson! BTW...haints I already knew about.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the ceilings. I have my two gallons of very light robin's egg blue to put up. Now that it is a bit cooler it will probably get done. Don't you love porches? They just get me everytime.
    thanks for sharing,
    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love this party link and I wanted to let you know that we are planning on featuring it. We hope that you get a bunch of new visitors.
    www.remodelaholic.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your porch is gorgeous and I loved the little folklore lesson about the tradition of blue porch ceilings. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the blue porch ceiling. Your porch is lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Denise. I just found your blog, can't remember where but I am certainly enjoying it. Love seeing the photos above. And I love your blog button too. I'll be following along and I hope to come back often.

    Hugs...Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the history lesson. That was very interesting. Almost makes me wish I had a covered porch to paint blue.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What paint and color did you use on your porch? I love the subtle shade!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous!!! Thank you for teaching me something new...I may have to paint our rather large eaves/overhangs blue as we are a popular hangout for wasps nests & mud dobbers it seems.

    Found you at Funky Junk.

    Hugs,
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful porch and I am so happy to hear you are carrying on the old tradition of painting the ceiling blue. I always heard it confuses the insects (they believe it really is open sky).
    Thank you for sharing.

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  17. I recognize the 3rd one up from the bottom-It's Sago Cottage in St. John!! My husband and I stayed there in 2009 for our wedding. Thanks for posting it-it brings back such wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails