September 2, 2010

Chalk It Up to Hoosier Fever

I almost called this post Hoosier Mama - to sound like Who's Your Mama.   I can entertain myself for hours with silly things like this.  But, I'll try to show a little self control and get on with the post - a small, but wonderful improvement to one of my Hoosiers.
I painted the cabinet doors with chalkboard paint.  It was cheap.  It was fast.  It was easy. 

This brilliant idea has been around a while and it's caught on because it's really useful.  Most women are list-makers and note-writers because they juggle more than they can handle.  When you add hormone issues and/or lack of sleep, those lists and notes may be all that stands between you and complete chaos. 

I have little notes all over and I try to organize them.  I have a reputation for being organized, but I think maybe I'm losing my touch.  I can't seem to get a good system for all my notes.  I'm going to give chalkboards a go.  I'd like to add chalkboard surfaces in several key areas.  This is my first.


I used painters tape, which turned out to be a mistake.  The paint leaked even though I thought I'd been careful to smooth it down around the edges. Luckily, I was able to easily scrape the paint leaks off with a knife.

The Hoosier doors before were some type of stained particle board.  I guess that was someone's idea of a makeover.  It wasn't very attractive.  The bottom doors are still stained.  I'd love to cover them up as well, but I think chalkboard paint down low would be overkill.

 I put three coats of chalkboard paint on each door.  Once I took the painters tape off, the door color seemed a bit harsh. 

one door in the process of being conditioned
The directions on the can said to wait three days before using it.  That was the hardest part of the whole project.  Finally, today I conditioned the board for use - you just lay a piece of chalk on its side and rub all over the door.  Erase and then it's ready to use.  Once the doors were conditioned, the color is more of a charcoal gray and looks much better.

The Hoosier was moved to the nook in my foyer several days back during part of the Furniture Shuffle.  It had been in the pantry.  I am now using it as a station for organizing and pricing things for my booth.  I like that the foyer now has a purpose other than a pass-through area.


Here's a view inside the main organizing area - where I get things listed and priced.  Please pardon the wallpaper.  It's at least 15 years old and I thought it was nice at the time.  It's days are numbered.   The metal counter slides out when you need more room - very convenient.

I need chalkboards in at least 3 other places - the office, the kitchen and the loft (my project area).  I already know how I'm going to make that happen in my loft.  I think it will be fabulous, but I'm not even giving a hint about it yet.

Want more chalkboard inspiration?  Check out this chalkboard party at The Stories of A to Z.

Take a look at this post from My Repurposed Life showing how to make your own chalkboard paint.  She made a chalkboard out of a chair bottom!


It's So Very Cheri made a menu chalkboard that's fabulous.


Be sure to check out my Porch and Garden Party.  It's not too late to join in!

I've joined in with the following parties  -
Idid a lot of partying today!!!
Make It Yours Day at My Backyard Eden
Show and Tell at Blue Cricket Designs
Look What I Made at Creations by Kara
Power of Paint at Domestically Speaking
Spotlight Yourself at It's So Very Cheri 
Show Us What You're Workin' With at Me and My Bucket
We're Organized Wednesday at Organize and Decorate Everything
100 Ideas Under $100 at Beyond the Picket Fence
Strut your Stuff at Fireflies and Jelly Beans
Hooking Up With HOH at House of Hepworths
Transformation Thursdays at The Shabby Chic Cottage
Strut Your Stuff Thursday at Somewhat Simple
Thrifty Thursday at Tales from Bloggeritaville   

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails