Monday, September 20, 2010

Mirror Makeover in Oil Rubbed Bronze

A few weeks ago I bought a Pepto Bismol Pink mirror at a yard sale.  No doubt, it had been in a sweet little girl's room.  The mirror is wrought iron - nice and heavy - and I decided it would look really nice brought back to a darker color.

The Before - I was just about to start spraying when I remembered to take a before shot.


I have been hearing about Rustoleum's oil rubbed bronze on blogs for a few months.  I couldn't find the color at my local Wal-Mart, so I bought a dark brown multicolored textured instead.  That didn't work out so well.


Luckily, I only bought one can, which I thought would be plent. The can had 25% more - that ought to do it.  In the photo above, you can see the mirror.  That's how it looked after the entire can. The coverage was terrible and the color wasn't what I had in mind.  I was going to have to get more spray paint, so I went to HD this time, and found the oil rubbed bronze I had been after in the first place. YEAH!!!  I bought 4 cans.  That way, I'd have plenty for the mirror and hopefully, extra for other projects.  


The Rustoleum Universal Metallic covered so much better.  I ended up using all of one can and a few squirts from a second can.


It's hard to take a good picture of a mirror.  The photo above doesn't do it justice.  It really turned out nice.
close up view, so you can see the rich color
 The oil rubbed bronze is everything it was rumored to be.  I highly recommend it.  The color is fabulous - very dark, almost black - and it covers like a dream.  The trigger spray nozzle is a little miracle in itself - easier to use and less messy.

The mirror is going to my booth, where I hope it will be found by someone who thinks it's as pretty as I do.  I can't keep it.  A standing mirror does not belong in a home with four big dogs.   My decorating choices have plenty of limitations!

Note:  The oil rubbed bronze is available in spray AND brush-on.  I started to get a can of the brush-on, too, but changed my mind.  I wish I had gotten it.  I thought the mirror was finished and removed the paper.  When I moved the mirror down to load it in the car, I found a couple of spots of pink in hard to get to places. I had to re-tape the mirror to spray again.  Ugh.  The brush-on would have made those touch ups so easy.

Be sure to check out my Porch and Garden Party.  It's not too late to join in!

I've joined in with the following parties:
Sunday Showcase at Under the Table and Dreaming
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
DIY Project Parade at The DIY Showoff
Something I Whipped Up Monday at The Girl Creative 
Motivate Me Monday at Keeping it Simple
Making the World Cuter Monday at Making the World Cuter
Weekly Treasures at Southern Hospitality

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails