Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Screen Door Chalkboard

Finally, I finished (well, almost) a project that I have had in the works for ages. The Screened Door Project.  AND I must say -  it's fabulous!


I have a screen door that belonged to my grandmother.   I intended to turn it into a giant bulletin board.  That didn't work out - I never could find cork large enough to work.  I gave that idea up and decided a chalkboard would be nice.  

My work had been finished for a week or so.  I'd painted both the door and the chalboard backing.
The chalkboard was made from Eucaboard - the front has a smooth surface.

I rolled on Rustoleum chalkboard paint - two coats.
Today, my DH cut out the hole for the electrical outlet and hung the door on the wall.  It's up in my loft.  It's the first thing you see as you come up the stairs. 

 Then I conditioned the board by rubbing the flat side of a piece of chalk all over.

Then I erased.  In the photo above, the top is conditioned, the bottom is not.

Then, I drew a vine on it because I couldn't think of anything profound to write.

I still need to do some paint touch-ups, but it's pretty much good to go.
Yep - I love it!


Be sure to check out my Porch and Garden Party.  It's not too late to join in!

I've joined in with the following parties:

11 comments:

  1. I'm always charmed by repurposed screen doors. I am drawn to them each time I walk through an antique shop. Your project is so cool! I want to share this idea with my daughter. I think that this would be great in her little bungalow. Thank you for sharing your wonderful project. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent idea for such a sentimental peice! I too have an old frame of a screen door that I haven't decided what to do with. I would love to just use it as my master bath...but have some convincing to do with my Hubby!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Denise, I love your chalkboard screendoor! Thanks for stopping by Elizabeth & Co. and linking my herb wreath to your garden party! What fun! So glad to have discovered your blog. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again, Just wanted to let you know that I keep trying to add to your button to my post, but when I preview it, it has wiped out other elements on my post. Never had this problem with a button before. I'll keep trying to figure it out. I definitely want to link back. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. in love! who would think that a chalk board could be so pretty! I'm featuring this project in a post about chalkboard paint tomorrow over @ crazydomestic.com!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you reused the old screen door. What a great idea and you saved it from the landfill. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that idea! I can't wait to explore your blog more! You have a lot of helpful things on here! I just linked up to your re party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the chalkboard idea! I had mirrored an old screen door, but I like the idea of chalkboard for a kitchen. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousMay 05, 2012

    I love your blog. Could you please tell me how your husband stabilized the sewin machine legs to the table he made? Was it the added board at the bottom that did it? I have attached seperated legs to a table top, but it is too rickety.
    Thanks - Sarah

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails